Now available at the BMA Shop and other retailers around the world.
Tomorrow Is Another Day was envisioned as a companion to Mark Bradford’s exhibition of the same name, both contextualizing Bradford’s works for the U.S. Pavilion and directly responding to them. The catalogue opens with an essay by the co-curators of the U.S. Pavilion exhibition, Christopher Bedford and Katy Siegel, the inaugural Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw Endowed Chair in Modern American Art at Stony Brook University and BMA Senior Programming and Research Curator. The introduction prefaces a spectrum of historical and critical writings responding to Bradford’s art and also his social activism, in Los Angeles, New Orleans, Venice, and elsewhere:
- Architecture and Black Autonomy by Peter James Hudson, Assistant Professor of History and African American Studies, UCLA
- Speaking Truth by Anita Hill, Professor of Social Policy, Law, and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Brandeis University
- Biography of a Painting by Katy Siegel, Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw Chair, Stony Brook University
- The Art of Productive Dissent by Sarah Lewis, Assistant Professor of History of Art and Architecture and African and African American Studies, Harvard University
- Niagra by Zadie Smith, award-winning novelist and essayist for The New York Review of Books
The volume additionally features excerpts from two historical texts: W.E.B. Du Bois’ Black Reconstruction in America and James Baldwin’s Go Tell It On the Mountain.
Completing this collection of historical and current critical writings is an extended interview with Mark Bradford by longtime collaborator Christopher Bedford. In this interview, Bradford discusses his life and his career with unprecedented frankness, revealing the social and material spark for his art and his activism. This is accompanied by a stunning collection of archival photographs that also intertwine personal experience and social history, from Bradford’s own childhood photos to images of conflict and possibility dating from the 19th century forward.
Mark Bradford: Tomorrow Is Another Day
Texts by Chris Bedford, Katy Siegel, and others
9.4375 x 11.875 in
Publication date: May 2017